Originally the site served as an airfield to squadrons of the U.S. 8th Air Force during World War 2 from 1942 to 1945. Group Lotus moved its headquarters to Hethel in 1966 and it has been there ever since. Portions of the runways and taxiways were developed as a circuit that could be used for the testing of cars, which was in turn used by the likes of Clark, Rindt, Fittipaldi and Senna to fine-tune their Formula One race cars.
The entire complex has recently undergone a complete refurbishment and is now a state-of-the-art facility with concrete surfacing and kerbs throughout. An FIA specification purpose-built test circuit with a length of 2.2 miles and a width of 40 feet, the Lotus Test Track combines a variety of technical aspects with a series of bends, hairpin, corners, straights and a turning circle designed to put Lotus’ high performance cars through their paces, and to train and develop your driving skills.
In between driving sessions the guests of the Lotus Driving Academy can relax in the Clubhouse Lounge situated in the historic airfield control tower and visit the impressive Lotus manufacturing facility or the heritage workshops of Classic Team Lotus, all of which are conveniently situated on or around the premises.